# 490 - Roemheld Syndrome: The Gastric - Cardiac Connection

human gastric and cradiac connection illustration

Guest: Dr. Michael Smith

Ludwig Roemheld was a physician in the late 1800's doing caloric intake research when he stumbled upon a critical link between the stomach and the heart. Roemheld Syndrome was taught to physician in the early to mid 1900's but is all but ignored by physicians today. Sufferers of RS are usually dismissed by their doctors as being hypochondriacs. Treating the heart and not the stomach in Roemheld Syndrome sufferers can be fatal.

Comments

0 # Hope12 2016-06-13 08:43
Hiya, I have just discovered the condition 'Roemheld syndrome' and am wondering if i have it..
To cut a long story short, I have been feeling my heart stop followed by a sever dizzy spell followed
by a return of heavy heartbeats with a head rush, After swallowing food this heppens.
I went to my Dr on more than 1 occasion and was always told to do more exercise
and sent for a ECG that comes back normal...
I changed GP and when i mentioned these symptoms to my new Dr, she sent me for a 24 hour ecg monitor Thing! And after returning
the device i received a call from my GP asking me to come and collect report and go strait to Hospital :0
They discovered i get 3rd degree AV heart block lasting between 2 and 7.2 seconds!
I received a pacemaker but while i was in hospital to have the procedure i was hooked to an ECG Monitor for a few
days and could tell when the AV Heart block was about to happen... After i swallow food of burp... i mention this
to the cardio dr who said: "i cant stop you from swallowing food, you need this pacemaker.
Sorry for the long winded post....
Thanks
0 # Hope12 2016-06-13 08:42
I went to my Dr on more than 1 occasion and was always told to do more exercise
and sent for a ECG that comes back normal...
Sorry for the long winded post.... what do you all think plz...
Thanks
0 # dud 2016-06-05 12:23
I also get the same symptoms every time I engage in physical activity (even fast walking) or lifting heavy stuff. Can you please address the issue?
+1 # Jen 2016-05-09 06:12
heard this several years ago and it made so much sense. I have had a heart palps board on face book for many years and I often post this podcast for new people/

all welcome just search Heart palpitations/ec topics group of friends
+1 # Waleed 2016-05-05 19:13
Amazing podcast! Thank god someone finally addresses this nightmare so many of us have been having to live with. But there is something that you both did not mention and it is something that has been really making me suffer more than all the other heart symptoms that also drive me crazy. That is the severe and sustained vertigo & dizziness that I have been having continuously for over a year and has completely derailed my life, have become anti social, depressed and pretty much lost hope in getting better, after seeing over 7 medical doctors, being prescribed beta blockers, proton pump inhibitors, electrophysiolo gy study and failed ablation attempt, endoscopy, diagnosed with IBS, told I have Ménière's disease(maybe I do) but what about all the Gastro-intestin al symptoms that trigger my pvcs, upper left chest pain after eating and severe dizziness when standing up after sitting. Never did one doctor even mention that my stomach issues could be causing any of my symptoms, they all said I was perfectly fine, very healthy and just had too much stress, which I find incredibly infuriating as I'm a fitness coach who works out everyday, and eats extremely healthy natural diet, zero processed foods. Please Carl if you or Doctor Micheal can help with this part of RS... The severe sustained vertigo and dizziness, how can I stop this from happening? I notice it seems to be worsened by certain foods or when I have more gas in my stomach, but I can't figure out exactly the cause but I just know living with it is absolutely impossible and I'm trying to not lose the last ounce of sanity I have left. Thank you for your help already in shedding light on RS, I know first hand how debilitating RS can be and how helpless it can make a person feel. I just wonder how many other have experienced the severe incessant vertigo and dizziness as well, and how to stop it. I hope to find the solution and be able to help others as well.
Sincerely Waleed
0 # Carl Lanore 2016-05-06 08:38
Waleed I have a feeling the vertigo you're experiencing is from vegus nerve activation which is part of the Roemheld Syndrome. Not everyone who suffers from RHS gets this. Most experience ringing in the ears though.
+1 # Steven B 2016-03-31 21:18
I wish I could speak to someone more about this Roemhold Syndrome. I get the same symptoms everytime I try to do CrossFit type training or heavy lifting
0 # Carl Lanore 2016-04-01 10:23
check your email please
0 # Pam S 2016-07-25 09:54
I have all of these same symptoms... I would also like to speak to someone about RS.
+3 # Sharon 2016-01-04 05:06
I have always suffered with pain associated with trapped wind and I started suffering with the Roemheld Syndrome 'episodes' about three years ago. I had ECG and 24 hour heart monitoring tests to show that my heart is normal. My theory about it starting three years ago is that my body is changing (I am 54 years old) and that it is having an affect on my hormones which then also influences my digestive system. I have tried many things to 'calm my colon' including taking bacteria which actually seemed to make it worse. I also cut out alcohol and caffeine which helped a bit BUT the thing that has really worked for me has been licorice tea. I have one cup a day and am now symptom free. I tested it recently by not drinking the tea and the next day I had an attack so I am back on it. The tea is just made from tea bags from my local supermarket - nothing flashy. It might also work for other sufferers of this condition...
+4 # Paul 2015-12-25 07:34
The vagus nerve is quickly turning into the holy grail of homeostasis and overall health. It's being linked to almost every autoimmune and neurological disorder that has been identified.
One thing I'd like to add is for everyone to get a full blood panel and take a look at minerals and electrolytes first. I had tachycardia with gas after meals due to inflammation of the vagus nerve, which was linked to a pretty serious potassium deficiency. When I started taking potassium supplements, it stimulated the peristalsis needed to move the digestive tract, reduced gas and re-balanced the heart rhythm. Keep your minerals balanced first. Magnesium/calci um/potassium/so dium/chloride. Once I got these checked and balanced, it also gave me back energy and focus.
0 # sabiha 2016-08-15 13:47
I agree with you totally. Afib is all about digestion disturbances. If you keep yourself alkaline everything is peaceful around your heart. I take mag-potassium everyday. Org. apple cider vinegar,spirilu na when I am in Afib. It gets back to sinus faster than hospital treatment...
+6 # craig mcgregor 2015-03-29 07:59
I just read about this condition, I've had these symptoms since my early 20's I am now 56. I had an attack yesterday within hours after eating an Arby's turkey sandwich, the worst one I've experienced in a long time, I was ready to go to the emergency room. A few hours later the symptoms disappeared and I was back to feeling normal. Then around 8 p.m. I ate again and was ok till I woke up at 2 a.m. with the same symptoms, so I did the same thing I always do when they occur I got up and sat on the couch and watched tv, a few hours later I was ok and went back to bed. I always thought there was something wrong with my heart, but then I couldn't understand how daily I could lift 400 lbs. countertops and walk several feet into peoples homes and not have any symptoms, or exercise to the hilt and never feel any shortness of breath or heart pain. When I was in my early 20's and going through a hard lonely period of my life the symptoms started, I was still living at home with my mom at the time and drove her crazy with my symptoms. I went to a family doctor and he ran some tests and said my heart was ok. My mom finally decided it was all psychosomatic and persuaded me to go to counseling. I knew my Dad had a hiatal hernia when we were growing up and remembered him complaining off and on about it. Years later when I suspected that that's maybe what could be causing me my problems he dismissed it and told me only overweight and the obese have this problem, as he always battled his weight and I was always slim. So on and off through the years my symptoms would come and go, I would usually start exercising more as I thought I was developing a heart condition and now married would drive my wife crazy with my symptoms who now thinks I'm a hypochondriac. I always suspected that improper weight lifting when I was 19 and 20 might have herniated my diaphragm some how but not sure. I've said all this to say that what a relief to finally realize that all these symptoms that I've had throughout the years if being caused by something real and I wasn't just crazy. Now I need to find out how to control this condition or if it can be treated.
+1 # Arango 2014-12-27 11:07
my heart has stopped 6 times almost got a pacemaker but dr realized it was my stomach causing my problems they ddi install a loop recorder wow I thank God I found this audio clip thank you thanks both of you guys this is the beginning of a better life for me also I feel all the same symptoms including not being able to sleep on left side wow again I thank God and dr Smith and the wonderfull hos Carlt at superhuman radio
+3 # Kristina 2013-11-26 22:25

Here's the link
0 # Blackrain 2013-11-08 10:28
Quoting Arnie:
I reeeeeeeeeally want this audio clip but the link is broken!!! Does anyone have acess to it and can email it?? Or can the clip be reuploaded??

i also need this!!!! please reupload admin
+1 # Arnie 2013-11-04 19:09
+5 # Jenn 2013-03-01 07:59
Mine began with nicotine patches and acid. Thank you so much for this...at last answers. Am sick of being told its anxiety.
+2 # RICHARD Palmer 2012-03-18 12:38
Carl, Very informative, but i go into afib every time i swallow food or drink. it happens as the food is going down my esophagus.I did this while i was hooked up to an ekg so we know for sure the afib is happening. Could this also be because of the vegas nerve? I also havs acid reflux. Doctors are confused as am I. Can you suggest any info that might help? :sad:
+1 # JamesBe 2011-12-01 03:03
Hey Corky,

So in your case it was liver problems causing RS? Can you tell me how did you get your liver healthy again? THANK YOU
+3 # Justin J. 2011-07-05 12:47
Carl, I am very greatful I found this discussion about RS with Dr. Smith on the web. I have been suffering with RS for about three years now and I am still in the middle of it. I have weeks of slow heart rythem and I cannot stand for long at all before filling faint. I too have been to the ER 3 times as well as EKG's and Echocardio grams. I have had extinsive blood tests with everything coming back normal and I still feel so poorly. About a year into it I noticed the gas movement and heart rythem relationship but when I asked my doctor about a possible connection between the two I got the deer in the headlight look. Thanks again for the knowledge given on this subject. If there is any other information or suggestions about how to cure this syndrome I would be grateful to hear about it.
+1 # Corky 2010-11-14 10:57
Carl - First I want to say keep up the good work and don't listen to the naysayers... great minds always receive violent opposition from lesser intellects.

I had some heart rhythm issues a couple of years ago that stopped me from training for almost a year. I said at the time that there has to be some link between the heart and the stomach, but everyone else said I was crazy. I also had EKG's, ultra sounds, stress tests, cholesterol tests, the list goes on, but all came back "normal". Eventually I took care of the liver and promoted probiotics buy using prebiotics, and the symptoms went away.

Imagine my surprise when I ran across this while satisfying my addiction to SHR. Can't wait to study it in depth.
+2 # Catherine 2010-06-10 16:38
Thank you, thank you for addressing this problem! I have been suffering for years with GERD, and within the last 6 months I have had all the symptoms related to Roemheld Syndrome. I've been to the ER twice, had an ECG stress test, been given antianxiety meds, the whole gamut, with no relief. I just know there are so many out there who are suffering like this and feel alone and that people don't believe them or give them the brush-off. The more we can put out there about this, the more people we can help. Thank you again.
+2 # Junior 2010-05-06 13:46
What a great show! I learn so much when dr.smith is on your show.
+2 # joel 2010-05-06 07:28
Amoxicillin... sure it works but it really messes up the digestive system. I had it for a tooth abcess too recently. Half way through I was vomiting every hour for 14 hours with terrible diarrhea.

Because these drugs kill the good bacteria in your gut, I think to some extent it compromises how you absorb carbs as well. Hence you can eat and eat and doesn't really seem to anywhere.

Probiotics all the way with antibiotics..